Monday, May 28, 2007

We are free

Happy memorial day!
     Here is my small tribute to those who made it possible for me to sit here a freely type whatever I want on the internet. Well, almost whatever. Which makes me think of how many people mistake freedom for all-out unrestrained license. There are rules for a reason, and many people don't think any rules apply to them. Instead of being free, they are slaves to their vices. True freedom is choosing what's right, not choosing what seems best to me, or what makes me happiest. That philosophy has led many down self-destructive paths.
     The men and women who died in the wars of our nation saw beyond their own personal liberties, their comforts, and their lives to ours. Now, I know there are those who fought for less noble reasons, but I want to focus on those who put themselves into harm's way nobly. From wars past to modern-day Iraq, men and women are seeing the need to be self-sacrificial in their love of their fellow man. They have freely chosen to do what others cannot, or what others refuse to do. And what other kind of love is there really? If it is not totally self-giving, is it truly love? They could have chosen to avoid their duties, preserve their own lives and comforts and liberties, but in fighting for our country they loved people they didn't even know -- you and me. Now that's freedom!
     May God bless them all and may the souls of the faithful departed truly rest in peace.

No comments: